Jillene Rector, raised in the same Carbondale home she resides in today, brings readers this Potato Day themed recipe which she used a lot while working on a ranch in Kirby, Montana in the ‘80s. She would serve the ranch hands after a long day of working the land and its livestock.
So, in the spirit of the good old days, pick up a bag of local potatoes — enough to go around, plenty of butter, the rest of the ingredients listed below and be sure to add plenty of love.
Here’s the formula, as written in Rector’s personal notebook of recipes:
- Boil six medium potatoes in skins, [then] peel and grate.
- Melt ¼ cup of butter and 2 cups of shredded cheese
- Stir in 2 cups of sour cream, ½ cup of a chopped onion, 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- Add potatoes and put in a buttered dish
- Dot with butter
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes
- [And have a tater-ific Potato Day!]